Bespoke Inc., Chatbot R&D Team Lead
Bespoke makes a new kind of AI chatbot service that makes your trips 10 times more exciting. We provide instant assistance to overseas visitors in Japan through major hospitality clients including hotels, airports, cities, and
railway companies. Our chatbot “Bebot” currently services more than 11M users a year, which is over 30% of the entire market in Japan.
What defines a “natural” conversation? As an AI, how do we distinguish a question about check-in times from a statement of dissatisfaction from a request to book a restaurant? When can we tell a joke?
We’re looking for an experienced data scientist or machine learning engineer to lead the chatbot R&D team to help answer these questions. The R&D team owns researching, prototyping, and integrating to production natural language processing (NLP) and machine learning (ML) techniques to continuously deliver improvements to our chatbot conversation engine. This engine makes use of in-house and other services to provide a goal-oriented dialog system supporting customizable conversations, small talk, and multi-language capabilities to our users. We are looking for a passionate, empathetic engineer interested in managing and growing this team in order to take this engine to the next level in accuracy and new features.
In this role, you will also contribute to hands-on development and work closely with software developers and product management to deliver the most natural AI tourism chatbot experience available.
The ideal candidate will have industry experience with modern ML technologies, have experience in probabilistic classification, be passionate about mixing science with industry, be eager to teach others, and love to travel.
- Researching, prototyping, and deploying NLP technologies to improve our chatbot engine
- Setting and tracking technical goals for the R&D team
- People management and interviewing new team members
- Helping to define, estimate, and prioritize projects according to business need
As a startup, we are also eager to embrace your unique interests and skillset to customize the role for you.
When bringing on new team members we mostly look for a track record of technical curiosity, commitment to quality, the ability to think critically, and an aptitude for learning new things quickly. If you’re that kind of person, contact us below!
- MSc. or equivalent in computer science, mathematics, or related discipline.
- Experience or interest in people management
- Industry experience in machine learning and probabilistic classification
- Comfort with designing prototypes that leverage other services/libraries and a general knowledge of software development practices
- Ability to work in a diverse, English-speaking team (Japanese not required)
Also awesome if you
- Have a PhD, or
- Have peer-reviewed publications, or
- Have NLP or conversation design experience
Visa sponsorship is possible for this role.